This is the memorial plaque to William Rolleston which he instructed to be put in St Mary’s Church. Originally in the Rolleston chapel, it is now at the east end of the nave, above the squint and below the plaque to his father.
Sacred to the memory of
Acton in the county of Middlesex esqr.
who held various commands in the armies
of King Charles the First and Second.
and served for his country in
England, Scotland, France and Ireland
being a downright Englishman
But he acquired more permanent honour
and rendered greater service to posterity
by having founded and endowed
The almshouses at this place
He died a.d.1672
The 40 year gap between Williams death in 1672 and the building of the Almshouses in 1712 is a result of considerable family politics and intrigue.
(Article – Rollestonian December 2012).
(Article – Rollestonian Spring 2013).
Return to Memory Lane
Last updated: 15 March 2013