Rolleston Lane - Cornmill
An item from the Idris Bowen Archive
The section of map below comes from Richardson's "Plan of the Demain Lands of Tutbury and County of Stafford", 1773. It covers the Tutbury - Rolleston boundary and what we know today as Rolleston Lane and Cornmill Lane are clearly shown.
A note states "The Mill at A above adjoining to Hob holme (derivation for today's Hoblands Farm) No 43 was sold by Sir Oswald Mosley to John Embrey who sold it to one Lucas whose property it now is. The Mill by Drying of Oats took Fire in November 1774 and burnt all the inside work to the Damage of 500£ besides a Quantity of Corn.
The major part of Idris Bowen's records have been catalogued by Lichfield Record Office and the list will be available shortly on their online catologue at www.archives.staffordshire.gov.uk. They are held under deposit no. 426.
Return to Home Page, Village Publications or Memory Lane
© This site was created by Richard Bush
Last updated: 18 December 2005